Chris Brower, SAA President
Greetings SAA Member,
Wow, we are already halfway through 2018! While many of you are making final plans for summer vacations, celebrating some graduations, closing the books on the second quarter or simply enjoying the warmer weather, I wanted to provide a quick update on the SAA.
Encouraged by a strong job market and vibrant housing sector, U.S. new vehicle sales have been stronger than many analysts anticipated. While sales are still below 2016's record rate of 17.55 million vehicles, numbers remain healthy and profits have increased thanks to the continuing shift to more lucrative SUVs, crossovers and pickups.
At the SAA, we have had a great start to 2018 offering even more membership value, including:
- Enhanced events that included the Warranty/Recall Summit with an expanded executive speaker line-up; an Advanced Mobility Showcase that educated members on how advanced technologies are accelerated and brought to market; and another fantastic OEM Purchasing Summit which featured executive insights from the leading six automakers. I would like to thank Dr. John Henke for sharing his insights once again, and to Faurecia who served as an outstanding host.
- New board members who have infused new ideas into the organization: Abey Abraham of Ducker Worldwide, Daron Gifford of Plante Moran and Jeanette Pierce of the Detroit Experience Factory. I would also like to acknowledge the significant efforts of the current board members who have made amazing contributions to help get the SAA where it is now.
- A video series that highlights the value of SAA’s membership from some of SAA’s most longstanding members. Click here to view our latest video.
- New sponsors who will support SAA with thought leader insight: Aon, Plante Moran, Canadian Consulate General and Ducker Worldwide.
Embarking on the second half of the year will prove interesting amidst uncertain gas price movements, the impact of tariffs, higher interest rates and ongoing trade war talk…just to name a few dynamics on the radar. The SAA will look to continue the momentum and we encourage you to mark your calendar for our next two events:
- July 26: DodgeGarage.com Story: Turning Enthusiast Content into Strategic, Measureable Marketing hosted by the JRT Agency, attendees will hear how the Dodge Garage has successfully built an enthusiast community, see new Dodge vehicles, play interactive games and more. This will be a unique, fun and informative event with excellent networking opportunities.
- October 24: 3rd Annual Automotive Lightweighting Executive Summit. An impressive speaker line-up is being developed across the value chain, featuring our recently confirmed keynote speaker, Craig Bouchard, CEO of Braidy Industries. The company recently announced details of a $1.3 billion investment which promises to set the new standard in materials science for years to come.
- We are also finalizing details for an OEM Tech Center Review and Tour for the fourth quarter. These member-only events are some of the most popular events that SAA offers.
Now is the perfect time to renew your membership. Through August 31, you can join the SAA or renew your membership and have a chance to win one of three $100 Amazon.com gift cards. Watch your email for details on this special offer.
In closing, I invite you to attend one of our upcoming events, network with our members and see for yourself what the SAA has to offer! Out next event, DodgeGarage.com Story: Turning Enthusiast Content into Strategic, Measureable Marketing on July 26, should be one of the more interactive events the SAA has offered and I hope you can attend.
If you have an event topic or speaker suggestion, or are interested to engage more with the SAA, you can reach me at email@example.com.