3rd Quarter Industry Insights
Industry Insights is a new quarterly video series that will feature industry thought leaders providing compelling perspectives on what lays ahead for our sector. Our Third Quarter video features automotive industry experts from DuckerFrontier. (video produced by Media Genesis)
What's New at the SAA
MOBILITY: REALITIES AND GROUND TRUTHS
NETWORKING IN EASTERN MARKET
Members and guests joined the SAA’s Young Professionals Network (YPN) for a fun networking event on October 3, 2019. Attendees met at Eastern Market Brewing Co. for networking, took a short tour of Eastern Market, returned to the Brewery to hear from Design Core, and enjoyed pizza from Supino's with more networking and cold beer.
10th ANNUAL OEM PURCHASING EXECUTIVES SUMMIT
• U.S. New Vehicle Sales Rise in November
• Save the Date: Automotive Outlook to be Held on Jan. 21, 2020
• Nissan-Infiniti: Another Double-Digit Decline
• Germany Crisis: Car Blow as 50,000 Jobs at Risk in ‘Biggest Crisis Since Invention of Car’
• Crunching Numbers: How the China-U.S. Trade War Could Trigger a Chain Reaction in the U.S. Automotive Industry
• Elon Musk Broke a Window, But Can He Fix the Auto Industry?
• FBI Warns of Cyber Attacks Targeting U.S. Automotive Industry
• Artificial Intelligence is Enhancing the Auto Industry Across the Board
• November 2019 Average New-Vehicle Prices Up Only 1% Year-Over-Year on Growing Discounts and Incentives
• SAA’s Third Quarter Industry Insights Reviews Innovation
• Automotive Suppliers Plying Turbulent Waters
• Global Car Sales Expected to Slide by 3.1 Million This Year in Steepest Drop Since Great Recession
A combined FCA PSA group would become the fourth largest OEM globally, with an annual production volume exceeding 8 million Light Vehicles per year. On that basis, it would surpass Hyundai Group, General Motors, Ford and Honda.
Assuming a binding agreement is reached to create a new automotive giant, there remain significant execution risks associated with combining two sizeable entities.
What does this mean for the industry?Read More
The U.S. increased the tariff rate from 10% to 25% on $200bn of Chinese exports. At the same time, President Donald Trump threatened to impose tariffs on all remaining Chinese exports to the U.S.Read More
Autonomous Vehicles (AVs), especially Shared Autonomous Vehicles (SAVs), have created a huge buzz over the last few years. An SAV is the transformative AV type that has the potential to revolutionise personal mobility and reduce the need, or desire, for people to own a car. We expect that SAVs will, in the end, achieve this outcome, but the industry appears to be aligning with our view that the race towards widespread AV provision is a marathon, not a sprint.Read More
Oakland University senior Marissa DeCook is the 2019 recipient of SAA’s Thought Leader of Tomorrow Scholarship. Marissa, who grew up in Macomb, Mich., is currently studying Operations Management with a specialization in Supply Chain Management and a minor in Business Analytics.Read More