3rd Quarter Industry Insights
Industry Insights is a new quarterly video series that will feature industry thought leaders providing compelling perspectives on what lays ahead for our sector. Our Third Quarter video features automotive industry experts from DuckerFrontier. (video produced by Media Genesis)
What's New at the SAA
MOBILITY: REALITIES AND GROUND TRUTHS
Magna executives will provide real insights into the new mobility landscape including what impact it will have, how fast things will change and how they are doing more than just adapting. Attendees will also learn more about Magna technologies by touring its Innovation Showroom.
NETWORKING IN EASTERN MARKET
Members and guests joined the SAA’s Young Professionals Network (YPN) for a fun networking event on October 3, 2019. Attendees met at Eastern Market Brewing Co. for networking, took a short tour of Eastern Market, returned to the Brewery to hear from Design Core, and enjoyed pizza from Supino's with more networking and cold beer.
10th ANNUAL OEM PURCHASING EXECUTIVES SUMMIT
• Registration Now Open for Mobility Innovations Summit
• Be on the Lookout for SAA’s Third Quarter Video Series
• Save the Date: November 12 for “Mobility: Reality and Ground Truths” at Magna’s Innovation Showcase
• September Results: Detroit 3, Japan 3 Tumble, Yet SAAR Stays Strong
• U.S./China Tariff War Will Lose Auto Industry Sales Worth $770 Billion: Report
• Continental Chief Warns of “Emerging Crisis” in Car Industry
• FACTON Offering Managerial Costing for Automotive Cost Estimators, Buyers and Cost Engineers
• Electric Vehicles Pose ‘Real Risk’ for Autoworkers, With Fewer Parts — and Jobs — Required
• Did Amazon Just Kick Electric Vehicle Production Into a Higher Gear?
• The Collapse Might Finally Be Here
• SAA Welcomes New Sponsor: AMT Die Casting
The US plans to impose a 5% tariff on all imports from Mexico, starting on 10 June. The duty will increase by 5% every month, until reaching a cap of 25% in October.
In 2018, a total of $372 billion in goods and services were imported from Mexico, while the US exported $299 billion to Mexico. Completed vehicles and auto parts from Mexico accounted for $93 billion, or 25% of the total, while vehicles and parts to Mexico amounted to $22 billion, or 7% of the total. How will these tariffs affect the industry?
The U.S. increased the tariff rate from 10% to 25% on $200bn of Chinese exports. At the same time, President Donald Trump threatened to impose tariffs on all remaining Chinese exports to the U.S.Read More
Autonomous Vehicles (AVs), especially Shared Autonomous Vehicles (SAVs), have created a huge buzz over the last few years. An SAV is the transformative AV type that has the potential to revolutionise personal mobility and reduce the need, or desire, for people to own a car. We expect that SAVs will, in the end, achieve this outcome, but the industry appears to be aligning with our view that the race towards widespread AV provision is a marathon, not a sprint.Read More
Oakland University senior Marissa DeCook is the 2019 recipient of SAA’s Thought Leader of Tomorrow Scholarship. Marissa, who grew up in Macomb, Mich., is currently studying Operations Management with a specialization in Supply Chain Management and a minor in Business Analytics.Read More