New Video Feature from the SAA
For more than 30 years, the SAA has been at the forefront of automotive industry trends and insights. We are excited to launch a new quarterly video series that will feature industry thought leaders providing compelling perspectives on what lays ahead for our sector.
This two minute video features automotive industry experts Mark Barrott and Dana Coomes of Plante Moran. Download their latest white paper “The Future of Mobility: Reinventing the Auto Industry” referenced in the video to find out more.
What's New at the SAA
MOBILITY INNOVATIONS SUMMIT
For the past three years, the SAA held the Automotive Lightweighting Summit. As the automotive industry has evolved to focus on all types of innovations promoting mobility, so too has the event which will feature a more diverse examination of the technologies furthering tomorrow’s mobility solutions.
10th ANNUAL OEM PURCHASING EXECUTIVES SUMMIT
PATHWAYS TO GROWTH IN M&A ACTIVITY
SAA members and guests received an update on the state of mergers and acquisitions in the automotive industry and heard from experts on numerous topics such as what makes the auto sector attractive to private equity and other investors. The May 21 event at the Detroit Athletic Club was held in partnership with Conway MacKenzie.
• You Have Until the End of the Week to Submit Your Entry for SAA’s Innovation in Mobility Awards
• New Video Feature from the SAA: What Key Trends are Top Automotive Experts Predicting for the 3rd Quarter?
• Save the Date: October 17, 2019
• The Wall Street Journal and DuckerFrontier Collaborate on Brand New Market Intelligence Solution
• Managerial Costing for Automotive Cost Estimators, Buyers and Cost Engineers
• Toyota, Honda, Subaru Post July Sales Gains as Detroit 3 Abandon Monthly Reports
• Special Report: The Electric Car Comes of Age
• “Truck, Truck and Away”: Pickups Drive GM’s Profit Beat
• Michigan Auto Sector Looks to Defense Industry as Sales Slow
• Don’t Blame a Slowing Economy for Auto Industry Woes
• Auto Suppliers Take More Pessimistic View of China Vehicle Production
• Demand Load
The US plans to impose a 5% tariff on all imports from Mexico, starting on 10 June. The duty will increase by 5% every month, until reaching a cap of 25% in October.
In 2018, a total of $372 billion in goods and services were imported from Mexico, while the US exported $299 billion to Mexico. Completed vehicles and auto parts from Mexico accounted for $93 billion, or 25% of the total, while vehicles and parts to Mexico amounted to $22 billion, or 7% of the total. How will these tariffs affect the industry?
The U.S. increased the tariff rate from 10% to 25% on $200bn of Chinese exports. At the same time, President Donald Trump threatened to impose tariffs on all remaining Chinese exports to the U.S.Read More
Autonomous Vehicles (AVs), especially Shared Autonomous Vehicles (SAVs), have created a huge buzz over the last few years. An SAV is the transformative AV type that has the potential to revolutionise personal mobility and reduce the need, or desire, for people to own a car. We expect that SAVs will, in the end, achieve this outcome, but the industry appears to be aligning with our view that the race towards widespread AV provision is a marathon, not a sprint.Read More
Oakland University senior Marissa DeCook is the 2019 recipient of SAA’s Thought Leader of Tomorrow Scholarship. Marissa, who grew up in Macomb, Mich., is currently studying Operations Management with a specialization in Supply Chain Management and a minor in Business Analytics.Read More